(Contains op/ed content) Want an alternative to Autodesk's Revit Server? For extra-office collaboration and workflow management for multiple office firms or collaborative project teams, take a look at Bentley's ProjectWise.
While Revit Server is a relatively immature (read version 1) product, ProjectWise has been around since the late 90's, and I've heard nothing but good things about it over the past few years.
The very existence of Revit Server is arguably owed to Autodesk's desire to compete with ProjectWise, and not vice-versa as one might expect.
ProjectWise capabilities with Revit include:
- Support for Revit data and managed access, versions, and workflows
- Improved performance of Revit file transfers as compared to the WAN
- Ability to manage Revit standards, families, and templates
- Support for Revit linked-file relationships
- Change alerts for notifications of dependant file changes
- Management of CAD import/export and exchange
- Ability to record custom audit trail events for the central file
More information here.