From Autodesk's In The Fold blog...
Autodesk Revit 2016 R2 builds on the speed and project performance improvements that distinguish Revit 2016 and includes more than 25 updates, many requested by users. With further improved software performance and scalability, plus new features, the family of Revit 2016 R2 releases enables subscribers to more effectively and efficiently capture design intent.
Revit 2016 R2 is fully compatible with the existing Revit 2016 releases and has no file format changes so users can install the update without disrupting existing ongoing work in Revit 2016.
Revit 2016 R2 represents significant incremental value for Autodesk Maintenance and Desktop Subscription customers who get immediate access to the most current Revit capabilities. Here is a view into just some of what Revit R2 delivers:
Faster: Revit 2016 R2 features continued improvements to software performance and scalability:
- Orbit, pan and zoom more quickly with the new Draw Visible Elements Only option. Revit improves navigation speed by working only on displaying the visible elements of a view. This occlusion culling is especially beneficial with complex files and views in which regeneration of a significant amount of content is suppressed.
|Orbit, pan and zoom more quickly with the new Draw Visible Elements Only option. Image courtesy of Autodesk.|
- Keep working during update of color schemes and the associated color fills with Color Fill Background Processing. Revit 2016 R2 updates room, space, HVAC zone, duct, and pipe color fills using multiple CPUs, which alleviates model interaction delays associated with these computations.
|Revit 2016 R2 updates room, space, HVAC zone, duct, and pipe color fills using multiple CPUs. Image courtesy of Autodesk.|
Smarter: Revit 2016 R2 has new and improved tools to help users better-capture and embed design intent in a model.
- Embed design intent in a model by using project-wide parameters to drive dimension and element instance parameters with the Global Parameters feature. A global parameter can measure dimensions and calculate formulas to drive dimensions and parameter values in other elements in the project.
|Embed design intent in a model by using project-wide parameters to drive dimension and element instance parameters with the Global Parameters feature. Image courtesy of Autodesk.|
- With Family Visibility Preview, get a better view of design intent by filtering out geometries that are not viewed. Work more quickly by previewing geometries and making adjustments before loading a Family into a project.
Better: We’re always striving to improve Revit based on user feedback. Over 20 user-requested enhancements include:
- Unload links per user to increase performance and improve memory usage without affecting other project team members
- Copy/Paste commands in perspective views
- Cancel print or export of multiple views and sheets with one click
- Filter solids/voids in separate entries to more easily multi-select the geometries to make bulk changes
- Enhanced rotation controls and insert part option in fabrication part modeling
|Unload links per user to increase performance and improve memory usage without affecting other project team members. Image courtesy of Autodesk.|
As an incremental install, Revit R2 can be less disruptive for users and administrators by spacing out changes vs. incorporating larger annual updates. Any downtime or disruption to work processes can be more easily out-weighed by the gains in performance, usability and stability.
Autodesk Revit 2016 R2 is available to Maintenance and Desktop Subscription customers worldwide starting today, October 20, in the following languages: Brazilian Portuguese, Czech, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish and Traditional Chinese.
There's more information available on the In The Fold blog.
Related: Roundup – Autodesk Product Enhancements for Revit 2016